On January 9, 2018, President Trump signed an Executive Order (EO) entitled, “Presidential Executive Order on Supporting Our Veterans During Their Transition From Uniformed Service to Civilian Life” This EO is designed to combat veterans suicide that is prevalent among servicemembers during the time they are adjusting to a new life outside the military.
Here are five important attributes of this EO.
• #1: It identified that the largest number of suicides of our military personnel occur within the first year during their transition from military to civilian life.
• #2: It is during this time that the rate of veterans suicide is two times higher than the overall rate for service members.
• #3 Care may be provided at VA or by a private facility, depending on wait times where you live. This section re-enforces the Veteran’s Choice Act of 2017 which allows
Any veteran who lives 40 miles or more from the closest VA medical facility, or who faces a 30-day or more wait time, can seek out treatment from a private facility and the VA will handle the payment.
• #4: All service members leaving the military will receive screening for mental health issues for one year.
• #5: Implementation of the EO is being made at the highest levels of the administration via the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and the Secretary of Homeland Security.At the meeting, Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin, remarked,
“Currently, 40 percent of those servicemembers had coverage in the VA to get mental health. Now 100 percent will have that coverage, and it’s the full array of services that the Department of Defense and the Department of Veteran Affairs will be able to provide in terms of mental health coverage.”
This EO is excellent news for transitioning servicemembers. Indeed, it will help make their future in the civilian workforce a success.
Source: Freedom Daily